Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, Book 1)

Furies of Calderon - Jim Butcher I've just finished the book. Well... my feelings are mixed.
The world itself and the main intrigue, although exploited, hooked me up, because they smell of Good Old Fantasy for a mile, but there were parts where I couldn't but groan at the wasted potential of the story. All that sexually-frustrated-sadist theme was too fake for me and the book could've done better without it. The levels of brutality here were so high they almost tripped to the ridiculous zone.
Some of the actions of the characters seemed to happen not because of the consequence of their character and personality, but because the story demanded it of them and there was too many turns of Fate to believe it. The other frustrating thing was the hints to the characters' true identities, which, whenever appeared, felt more like a smack to the face than a subtle poke.
Also, although the book is quite voluminous, I couldn't shake off the mental image of a traveling bag barely holding all the stuff thrust into it. Just too many threads developing too quickly. I understand that it's the first book of the series and all the plots have to start somewhere, but really, ALL of them at once? Give me some break. Too much stimulation is unhealthy.
And the descriptions of the characters' mental states: "X knew he was scared, but he had to do it", then a shift to another Point Of View and "Y knew that X had to do it, even though he was propably scared". C'mon, enough with the descriptions. SHOW me instead of TELLING. I don't need explanation of every step the character takes, leave me some space for interpretation. Especially when most of their moods summs up to "scared" and "on the brink of tears".
Don't get me wrong, it WAS entertaining an I will be reading the next one (because I've heard it gets better), but I definitely won't compare it to "Lord of the Rings" or "Song of Ice an Fire", the two titles that spring to my mind whenever I hear "high/epic fantasy here!".
On the positive side, I liked Tavi's resourcefulness, which made his plot the most attractive one, and his "limitations", as someone in the book called his inability to call upon furies. I also have nothing against Amara and Bernard, though they're quite flat, but I came to hate Isana. The only moment when I got interested in her character was at the very, very end of the book, because it's the onlty moment you get a glimpse past her strong inclination to martyrise herself for the good of the others, though sadly, it's just one sentence describing an expression in her eyes.